Monday, May 2, 2011

Post- Romantic: Paisley Rekdal

Came across this poem today. This is just a snippit, the full version is rather long. Something about it made it both sharp, lively, losing, and bitter. The lines come with such a great power, very lovely.  Hope you enjoy :)



"I love you. Can I even say that? In this story,
I want to spend the rest of my life growing quietly bored with you,
locking away loom and spindle, sweeping out the piles
of rose petals and ash. For once, I plan to triumph
over smug experience. I marry you. Don’t hit me.
Please, just come in from the stars awhile, sit here
in this sitting room, let me find you another section of the paper
to argue over. The doctors said I get to wear a suit.
They said I’ll be released next Thursday. Listen:
even now, the junipers are whispering their dark good-byes,
thin limbs smocked in white. A riderless horse has appeared
on the horizon. And somewhere, out in the meretricious night,
somebody’s life is quietly changing."

No comments:

Post a Comment